Monday, October 12, 2009

Halloween Tri-Fold Card



I know I've been on this Halloween kick! But, I suppose I'd better get it out of my system as Thanksgiving and Christmas soon approach. Today's card project was a bit different in construction and execution.

The basic shape of the card is a tri-fold. What's nice about this particular arrangement, is that it basically creates a "pocket" card that's wide enough to store a hidden surprise inside of. Say your favorite lollipop, tea, or cocoa (as examples). I made a few with Halloween candy in them, but I decided to show just a non-treat example for this entry.

The base cardstock for this project is cut at 5" x 11". I used Stampin' Up! Crushed Curry. The decorative paper (the "cover" if you will) is also Stampin' Up! from the Designer Series Paper collection entitled "Cast A Spell". It was also cut at 5" x 11". While there are numerous ways to adhere the two layers of paper together, I found that using my Xyron 510 is easiest. I simply ran the decorative paper through the Xyron and adhered it to my Crushed Curry base. Now, you are ready to score your card to create the gatefolds.

Using my Scor-Pal, I scored the cardstock layers at 3 1/2", 3 3/4", 7 1/4", and 7 1/2". Use a bone folder to ensure your card is properly creased at these score marks. Now the real fun begins.

I chose to use my ProvoCraft Gypsy to create a portion of this card. The "Autumn" greeting and shadow were cut on my Cricut Expression from the new "Gypsy Wanderings" cart. The two pumpkins used (and the corresponding shadows were cut from this exclusive-to-the-Gypsy electronic cartridge. (Can I just say I LOVE my Gypsy!) The acetate witch die-cut is from Little Yellow Bicycle. The mulberry paper orange jeweled flower is from Petaloo. The spider stamp is from Papertrey Ink. Finally, I used my Making Memories Slice to create the "Boo!" greeting from the "Spook Alley" card.

I cut the word "Autumn" and the two pumpkins out of white Bazzill cardstock as I wanted to handcolor them with my Copic Sketch markers. I still consider myself a beginning learner with the Copic markers, but I have to say nothing beats the shading effects you can obtain by using these markers. I'm particularly fond of the orange-to-yellow effects achieved on the card front.








I hope Autumn finds you well today...and as always, crafting!

No comments: